SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES: Throughout the year, there are many opportunities for Christian service in which candidates are invited to participate for service hours. Such opportunities include, but are not limited to:
• Coffee Hours: Assist (pouring juice, cleaning tables, etc.) after the 8 am Sunday Mass at STM or the 9:30 am Sunday Mass at Sacred Heart.
• Library: sort and catalog books and DVDs after school weekdays.
• Faith Formation, two opportunities: 1) Once a month on an after school weekday, prepare FF materials, or 2) One Sunday afternoon (3-5:30 pm at SH) or Monday evening (5-7:30 pm at STM) assist at FFF classes.
• Teen Lectors: Proclaiming the Word of God at Sunday Mass is a great privilege. If you feel called to read at our weekend liturgies, please contact Father Sean or Maureen at the collaborative office.
• Church Choirs: elementary and middle school children sing at the family Masses, while high school teens are invited to sing at the 11:30 am Sunday Mass at Sacred Heart Church.
• Vacation Bible School: needs many volunteers to be successful. Young Disciples are needed to serve as group leaders, assistants in each station, food servers and more.
• Christmas and Easter Drives: Assist in collection of donations and bag gifts for delivery to My Brother’s Keeper, nursing homes, and our homebound parishioners. 4 Saturdays or Sundays in Nov/December and 4 Saturdays or Sundays in February or March.
• Pray the Rosary at Royal, Pope or John Scott nursing homes on Saturdays throughout the year.
• Make cards for local nursing home residents and veterans after school in November, February and May.
• Lenten Stations of the Cross: All youth in our collaborative parishes are encouraged to serve as greeters, readers and food servers on the Fridays in Lent.
• Living Stations of the Cross: On Good Friday, our youth enact the Stations of the Cross. Participation includes practices about two weeks prior to “living out” the Stations on Good Friday.
• Senior Dinners: Teens and their families are invited to set up and serve one Saturday each month.
• First Communion and First Reconciliation retreats are held for 5 hours on one Saturday in December and March. Help is needed in preparing materials and serving snacks.
• The Inn at Sacred Heart will be opening later this year. Many, many volunteers will be needed to ensure the success of this new outreach. Watch this space for upcoming service opportunities.
***You may have some ideas for Christian service projects other than those listed above. Please see Mrs. Simmons for pre-approval of your project.